I suggest you ...

Make a simpler way to mark articles read/unread

I've been trying to switch to feedly from Google Reader, and mostly it seems quite nice, but the many ways of marking articles as read/unread is confusing. (Note that I have the "auto mark as read when scrolling" preference turned off, and I read in Firefox in Full Articles mode, sorted by oldest first, reading All articles.)

In Google Reader this is very simple: there's a "mark as read" checkbox that you can always click to toggle, and you can always tell if something is marked read by whether the checkbox is checked. The status never changes except when you click the checkbox or choose a "mark all as read" menu item (unless you turn on the "auto mark as read on scrolling" setting, which I don't). Could you please make a feedly mode that works like this?

In feedly it's a confusing mess. First, there's the Trashcan icon, which seems to be a "mark article as read and make it disappear" button. (Does this also make it disappear from future displays even if you turn off the "unread only" filter and refresh the page? Or is it just another way of marking as unread that also makes it disappear immediately?)

Then there's the "m" key that toggles whether the selected article is marked as read, but sometimes even when I have an article selected, pressing "m" doesn't do anything but just leaves it marked as read. (Could this be something about not being able to sync with Google Reader's marked-as-read status?) Then there are the j/k keys, which seem to mark each article as read when I get to it. (But sometimes after I first load a long scrolling page of articles by clicking the "All" articles link in the menu of feeds, the first time I press "j", it scrolls way down the page to a random article in the middle and marks that one as read. Then if I press "k" repeatedly to go back to the article at the top of the page, it marks everything along the way as read, which isn't what I want, so I have to press "kmkmkmkm" instead to mark each one as unread again as I go by. What makes the "j" key sometimes jump way down to an article half way down the page? I found a note at http://feedly.uservoice.com/forums/192636-suggestions/suggestions/3746151-don-t-mark-as-read-when-using-n-p-keyboard-shortcu suggesting that the n/p keys shouldn't mark things as read like j/k do, but for me, the n/p keys don't seem to do anything: pressing n/p is just ignored.)

Then there's the "keep unread" button, which marks it as unread but suggests that if I don't press it the article might automatically get marked as read, which I don't want.

And then, sometimes when I just click in the middle of an article's text, it selects the article and also marks it as read, but other times this selects it but doesn't mark it as read. This is all very confusing and I think sometimes things are getting marked as read when I didn't mean to, so I'm losing them before I actually read them.

Is there any comprehensive writeup outlining all the ways articles can be selected and marked as read/unread in feedly?

183 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NeoNeo shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I have the "Auto-Mark As Read On Scroll" set to "All Views" and yet it does not work on all of my feeds.

Any ideas on this little glitch?

• dddd commented  · 

Can't agree more, this is really important feature for us
        Feedly needs to seariouly and quickly update to have such feature...
        thanks,

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is a VERY serious flaw in Feedly - there is no obvious and consistently functional way to mark all articles as read.

If one is away for several days, it doesn't make sense to try to go back through all the unread articles, and I haven't been able to find a way to clear the queue. I simply don't have the time to go through the list marking each article as read individually.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Shortcut to mark "all read" is Shift m. Hope this helps

• Theresa JTheresa J commented  · 

When I add a new feed, I often see a list of grayed-out articles. I'd like to mark all the articles UNREAD so I can read them later, without having to bookmark each one! Also, If I have more than 40 articles in a feed, I'll have to refresh and refresh (unless it decides to refresh on its own, which it often does). I'd like to skim the list of articles showing just at that moment, and then just mark all those items as read, not every article in the whole feed. Now, I have to click the X for every article i want to get rid of.

This is just not that user friendly. Looks pretty, but it doesn't WORK pretty.

• Lizzie V.Lizzie V. commented  · 

Yeah, I don't have any votes left so I can't bump this, but I do want to chime in just about the trashcan vs. marking as read thing. Super confusing. I too have the "auto mark as read" preference turned off, and was confused why the "keep unread" button still shows up on each post in full article view. That should turn to "mark as read" with my preference setting. I did also eventually figure out that the trashcan would remove an item, but I can't really tell if that's different from marking as read... because if it's the same thing, why is "the same thing" sometimes a text button that says "mark as read" and sometimes a trashcan icon?

I've also noticed that the "keep unread" button doesn't do anything anyway. I thought maybe if I clicked it on an article or two before marking all as read, it would save those few but... Nope. It's just a clickable thing that does nothing (again, if you have it set NOT to mark on scrolling).

So bizarre. Maybe this is just a bug that's being worked out? If not, I can't figure out why it was intentionally set up like this!

Feedback and Knowledge Base