I suggest you ...

The new ads are not okay

The new ads rolled out recently are not okay. I know you guys have to eat, so ads or subscription is fair and fine. But the way they are implemented is misleading. They look identical to items in my feed, except a gray word way off to the right, exactly where I am not looking when I'm scanning my feed.

You'll probably get better clickthrough rates by tricking people this way, but it's not cool and it's actively against the rules of many ad networks.

I will not upgrade on principle if the play is "either pay or be tricked by misleading ads." I will be fine with ads that look like ads. I may even be fine with paying instead of seeing those.

But as it is I'm giving feedly a week or 2 tops to change the ad design or I'm gone.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Pete Michaud shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminPetr (Customer Success Hero, Feedly) responded  · 

Hello Pete, we’re sorry you don’t like the format of the ads. We’ll be improving them. We use ads to fund new projects and keep Feedly viable in the long run and yes, you can always go Pro and make the disappear.
It is not the intention to have them look like misleading, we use them the way the ad network we cooperate with has defined them initially.

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto. I’m leaving in days to come. Not cool. Try read news yrself to feel how annoying it is.

• Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It IS your intention to make them misleading, otherwise you would have brought more attention to them by using different colours, which would have highlighted them. Realistically you are hoping that people will click by accident. I am a trained graphic designer and I know a design ploy when I see one.

• Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your ads are deceiving, they feel like clickbait. I agree with the others, please fix, I am already looking for alternate RSS apps, shame as I really liked this app and have been using it for years. If you want to put up ads for revenue do them in the right way and stop tricking users. thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really, really terrible implementation of ads. They're disguised as regular news items hoping to "trick" the reader into clicks. They're also extremely repetitive, with the same ad appearing in every feed. I see the same ad 20 times in one reading session.
    It's disengaging enough that I'm now looking at alternative news readers. Just on principle I'm not paying for Feedly Pro because of this, I refuse to be coerced into buying a subscription just because you've made your free offering so annoying. I'll be more inclined to give my money to another product that treats its users in a more mutual manner.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ads are COMPLETELY annoying. Just discovered them and have already accidentally clicked on 3 ads that automatically open a new tab in my browser.

If you can't manage to make them stand out more so that I can skip over them, I am going to have to use a different news reader as they are just too annoying.

Feedback and Knowledge Base