I suggest you ...

Filters to hide or highlight items – based on keywords and phrases

For example: I want to hide all items containing the word "pope". Now I just need to create a filter and all items with the word "pope" in headline and/or content will be hidden from my news stream. Same for highlighting certain words or phrases.

6,812 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bernd Allgeier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

287 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeremy Nikolai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you follow a ton of different feeds, you'll end up seeing the same news articles dozens of times as they're reposted by various sources. If you could detect posts that were a re-share of the same link, or the majority of content was the same, and merge these into one post, this would drastically cut down on the amount of time spent skipping over things you've already seen elsewhere. Show the content for most popular (or most relevant to the user, maybe) post, along with a list of links to duplicate/reshared posts at the end.

Before Google broke Reader's social functionality (see http://bit.ly/Yv3c2k), this was the one feature I felt they needed to be nearly perfect. If Feedly gets these two features, it'll be ready to take over the world.

• Remy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! I cannot express how much I want this... I suggested this to @googlereader on Twitter *AGES* ago and got ignored... please let us do at the very least keyword based, but ideally regex based filtering!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

negative filters also... if a certain feed has tons of stuff it would be useful to filter out some of the stuff I don't care about to see the stuff that I do.

• Igor Oreper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To add, these filters can be done like "smart folders" in NetNewsWire. I use them to monitor certain types of content out of my feeds so I don't have to go through hundreds of articles to find the ones I care about. For example, one of my "smart folders" looks for the string "Delaware" in item subject or body.

• CptnSbtxt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've always wanted a simple way to filter out certain content in feeds. For example, I'd love to be able to filter out videos because I'd rather use RSS for reading (could be accomplished by looking for media types within an article or through URL string searches). It would be nice to be able to subscribe to a source but filter out particular authors that bore me.

Yahoo Pipes offers feed processing tools but it's overly complicated and doesn't work very well. It would be great if Feedly could provide the capability in a way that's simple.

1 2 11 12 13 15 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base