I suggest you ...

No limits on unread/old items

PLEASE do not impose a 30-day limit on Normandy like Google Reader did. At the very least, allow users to view items older than 30 days on Normandy. People don't want to lose information!

3,314 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    GoogleReader Convert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminPetr (Customer Success Hero, Feedly) responded  · 

We’d like to share with you how Search works and why the limitation is set on 30 days.

Basically the reason why we have to limit to 30 days for categories is because searching across a large number of feeds takes a long time to return results right now. This also explains why we can remove this limit when you search directly in a feed rather than a category, as that will return search results a lot faster.

You can still see all the older articles as unread in all your Collections/Categories. If you’ll click on the Gear icon on the top right and uncheck “Unread only” you’ll see all the articles, just marked as read.

Improving our search feature is one of our top priorities for feedly Pro, so we’re trying to up this limit soon. Unfortunately we don’t have an ETA to give you on that.

102 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow this issue is aggravating. Feedly has two uses for me:
        • see in a single place which webcomics have updated;
        • let some of them pile up for later binging.

One thing I don't care one lick for:
        • running a search through my feeds.

So Feedly can't manage my unread comics, and I had to do an internet search to even know about it. Also, now I have to search through comics archives to determine where I was at.

I'm gone as soon as I find a replacement.

• Raincole Lai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm okay with that search feature is limited. But what I(and I believe, most of we, your users) want is to see the old items as unread so we can check what we've missed out. It's especially useful when you subscribed a tutorial youtube channel that you have to watch from the very beginning.

• Luca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would like to move all my feeds somewhere else because this is unacceptable to me, and I am not willing to discuss it any further. This is the very basics of design and they are getting it all wrong, showing no consideration for their user base. It's hard for me to believe. Not only it's a massive flaw in the software, they don't even let you know!

• Luca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is just no technical justification for this. Removing users content without letting them know is poor user experience. I've always thought my unread feeds would stay there for an indefinite amount of time and was relying on Feedly to keep everything there, and I am now finding out that they are getting rid of feeds older than one month. Outrageous!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This is getting annoying now as I keep losing articles that I thought I would come back to later. Not having this even in Feedly Pro is disappointing to say the least.

• Xavier Novella Sinde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been some days struggling with the marked as unread problem. This is a solution that may be used along with a feed reader:
        http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/turn-gmail-into-an-rss-reader-with-ifttt-1582552035
        To make your account a more future-proof archive, remember to untick FTTT'S url shortener in email applet.

You may loose part of precious queued articles, but will be able to start "feeding" your Informational Diogenes without fear to loose them.
        If you only want 1 account: Tags, auto-filters, autoarchives (without marking read) are your men.
        If you don't care creating a "feed" account: "New" is the word.

PD: If somebody finds a solution to gather all the posts in a feed during 24 hours and send them in 1 daily email, please tell. (News feed like "Die Zeit", "NHK", "Ara.cat" would mean like +45 emails a day each, which is crazy)

Have a nice day,
        Xavi

• Daniel Hidalgo González commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with the last comment, if any of you know about any service that doesn't have this limit, just let us know. I will gladly change my subscription to it ;)

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you know of an rss reader that doesn't have this restriction, please post it here so we can migrate.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very frustrating to see that years later Feedly hasn't addressed this. There should be two features: unread / read, <30 days / >30 days. Let the >30 days disappear from the default view but keep them unread so that we can show old items and still see what we've read and what we haven't. I'd pay an additional $10 a year just for that feature, how much additional storage and processing is that really?

• David Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just renewed Feedly Pro a few minutes ago...my biggest issue with Feedly is still the 30 day limit. I want my feeds and posts to stay around - and MARKED UNREAD - until I get a chance to view them. For my purposes, 95+% of Feedly Pro is worthless but I would pay the annual fee for losing the 30 Day limit ALONE. I'm a software engineer, I understand the tradeoffs. There has to be a creative solution that allows me to not miss items until I get a chance to read them. Hybrid (offline/online) processing? I don't know, but this is probably my last Feedly renewal unless this is fixed. I'll go back to a desktop manager.

There's going to be an exodus because of this.

I've sung Feedly's praises for years now, but this change renders it useless.

Do my unread articles bump up your storage costs?... I'd gladly pay to be able to keep my unread articles.

• MAS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since you closed another suggestion similar to this one (https://feedly.uservoice.com/forums/192636-suggestions/suggestions/3784483-why-can-t-i-see-feeds-older-than-a-month-or-so), you should probably close this one as well? However, you marked the other one as "Completed", at least at the time I'm writing this, even though you didn't complete anything. Considering this item has many more votes, marking it as "Declined" would communicate your decision more effectively to all of your customers that voted for it. Thanks.

• Jaylin Tenfold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mostly use Feedly to subscribe to webcomics, and sometimes I don't have the time or ability to read comics for longer than 30 days. When I come back, figuring out where I left off is HELL because I can only roughly guess at the date and then check every page to see if it looks familiar yet. Please do something about this.

• Todd Vierling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"You can still see all the older articles as unread in all your Collections/Categories. If you’ll click on the Gear icon on the top right and uncheck “Unread only” you’ll see all the articles, just marked as read."

Most of the commenters here, as you can see, have interpreted this feature request as whether or not articles are marked as read at the end of 30 days, not whether articles show up in search results.

I abandoned Feedly completely and ended up self-hosting tt-rss due to this limit, since Pro wouldn't offer relief for it. (That, and no one at Feedly has seemed to understand the simplicity of this request every time it has been mentioned in the comments on company blog posts.)

• ingvald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for me, this is not related to search, but as another said here, auto-marking my items as read when they reach 30 days. for me, this has led me to start using digg's reader more and more, which doesn't have that limit.

• Junsheng Chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep. Jenn and Patsak are correct. This our beef with the limit.

Sometimes work and life gets so crazy that you have no time to comb through your feeds. And when you do, it's maddening to see Feedly mark feeds older than 30 days as read.

• Jenn.bateman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update Petr. To look at it from another use case, I don't care about the search at all. I use Feedly to aggregate all the things (youtube videos, blogs, comics, etc) I would like to read/watch. Sometimes I don't get to them in a timely fashion. Shame on me. But having them disappear after 30 days is very very aggravating. I miss out on a lot of content because of this. Telling me to just view all the articles that are marked as read is not very helpful, because I have no idea which ones I've read and which ones I haven't. That's kind of the whole point! Anyway, I'm sure y'all have see a lot of use cases for your product so this isn't new, but I thought it might help put some peoples complaints into perspective. This is the only frustration I have with Feedly. Everything else is great for me (except for one feed I have that never seems to update, but that's another issue).

• Patsak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Petr, thanks for reaching back.

My understanding is that people here complain about unread items disappearing after 30 days, not that they are unavailable through search.

Regarding your explanation, I have two remarks:

1. Why do you at all mark items as read after 30 days? This is really annoying. If, as you claim, they still stay there (as read ones), why mark them read?

2. I find your claim about the availability of items older than 30 days only partly true. Yes, they are available as read, but the amount is limited. In my experience the limit is about 600 items.

What is with this? Especially since I don't seem to be able to prolong the unreadness of articles even if I click "keep unread" again 28 or something days after the date of the original post... it still disappears 2 days later.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base