I suggest you ...

Make an option to preserve original html formatting of feed content

One thing that I find a bit annoying in feedly (compared to Google Reader) is that it modifies original html formatting of the rss post (presumably to make content nicer and fit it in the narrow viewport), e.g. resizing pictures and adding margins.

The problem with this is that it doesn't always work well, e.g. some blogs that I read use double <br> to separate text from images and it ends up having huge blank spaces before and after the image (since the margin is added).

So, I think it would be nice to have an option to preserve exact formatting that the original feed item had.

85 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Konstantin Yakovlev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Drew Kime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the author of a feed that's always heavy on photos, this is a huge frustration. Photos and text overlap and make the content unreadable.

• mtnrunner2 . commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I doubt I'd add any inline image margin at all, and certainly not 33px! Digg reader, for example, does not add margin and looks better.

• Kathleen Lietzau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! For the image problem, look at a blog like PostSecret in Feedly: all the images are overlapping each other. For the font problem, look at a blog like Query Shark (as previously mentioned here), where the color of the text is important to separate different types of commentary.

• Brian J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This seems a completely unnecessary change, particularly considering how much space is wasted when Feedly reformats posts itself with a rather large font and luxurious spacing between lines. In Google Reader (full article view), I would do a LOT less scrolling than I have to do in Feedly, and that's down to this.

Give us the option for seeing the author's original version of the feed, please. Sometimes there's actual important formatting included in a feed, such as a table.

• Michael Leddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too was going to create a new post, but I'll add my thoughts here. I strongly agree: Feedly's relocating and resizing of images sometimes leaves posts looking absurd.

A problem not yet mentioned: in relocating images, Feedly also changes the sequence in which they appear. Three images in a sequence -- 1, 2, 3 -- end up as 3, 2, 1.

Another problem: Feedly in the browser also drops very small images, as happened with two of my recent posts.

Yet another problem: Feedly's arbitrary insertion (in Magazine and Card views) of YouTube content in posts that merely link to a YouTube clip. If the writer's intent in linking involves some element of wit or surprise, Feedly's insertion of an image ruins the surprise. Even if that isn't the case, I think it's inappropriate to add images to a post on the basis of a link.

I've documented these problems here:

http://mleddy.blogspot.com/2013/06/feedly-v-feedly.html
    http://mleddy.blogspot.com/2013/06/feedly-it-aint.html

My messages to customer support have had no replies.
    I would be happy to see Feedly leave my content as it is.

• Carey Bishop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Feeds like The Daily WTF are currently showing embedded HTML, as if it's been escaped unnecessarily. This makes the articles impossible to read in Feedly.

• eighnjel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree!! When there's formatting where text is aligned with images, all of the commentary on the images loses context when all the images are floating on the right.

• Ajay D'Souza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be good to stop auto aligning images as well. All the images in the post get either floated left or right and would be good to leave them as the feed author created them

• Vidya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was about to start a new post, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. I have several feeds where the text is formatted in different colors in order to separate the author's commentary from what they are commenting on (i.e. Query Shark). When read in Feedly (or any other reader aside from Google Reader), those colors are lost, which makes the text more confusing to read. I want to be able to preserve the original formatting of my feeds, so that I can read them in the manner that they were intended.

Feedback and Knowledge Base