I suggest you ...

allow one-click access to the mark unread/read icon

I would really like to be able to mark items as unread with a single click (i.e. place the icon at the top in article view, next to the customisable share & save icons). In Google Reader, I would often scan through my unread items and 'mark unread' anything that I wanted to come back to later to read properly. This would keep it in my unread queue, rather than moving it off to a separate 'saved for later'- type queue.

92 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Steph shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please!

Could even let me set that button in place of the twitter button. (You let me set "browser" as the share action, why not "Mark as unread"?)

• Linda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for "Mark as unread" option. PLEASE make it so we can mark individual items as undread AS WELL AS entire feeds.

• Paul Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really, really important. There is a way to do it. You have to turn off the "open directly" option, then click on the article to open a little article window, then select "mark as unread". Terribly inconvenient.

I always have clicks go directly to the news article and don't want to change that.

In "magazine" view, there is a "mark as read", but not "mark unread". The title view has a "mark as read and hide" out at the end. Each of the views should have a very clean way to mark articles read and then unread.

• Matt Lohr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a lifetime subscriber, I would like to put my new-found clout behind this issue. I used Google Reader just as Steph did, and more than once I have made the mistake that Pam described on 29 June.

• Pam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes...we need a "mark as unread" icon because I just marked everything as "read" by accident while trying to learn my way around

• Steven James Burks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have only found a way to mark an article, or an entire feed, as read, but not unread. This does not make sense to me. What if ... I accidentally click on a "mark all as read," for example? Like I just did ... ? :D Now the feed disappears, for all intents and purposes. I can't even mark individual articles within the feed unread. At LEAST enable this. It's basic.

• Doug Dick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may be the difference between switching to Feedly or something else. You have to be able to mark something UNREAD.

• Dave Whittaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, is there not a way to mark something unread other than to mark it as saved for later? This is a major flaw vs Google Reader, imho.

Feedback and Knowledge Base