I suggest you ...

DO NOT auto pin tabs in Chrome or any other browser.

Today, I opened Chrome. Haven installed the Feedly extension, I did notice that I has some weird tab that decided to add itself. Not liking that, I thought, "diabling the extension will solve this."

No.

Much problem surfing later, I discover that I have to "unpin" the tab. Also, the tab does not stay "unpinned." THIS IS BAD. I didn't put the tab there, and I DON'T WANT IT. GET IT OFF!

You absolutely cannot do this. I don't care how many votes this suggestions gets, if I see it happen again, feedly will be DEAD to me. I will uninstall it everywhere and make it my life's mission to destroy it.

188 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminPetr (Customer Success Hero, Feedly) responded  · 

Hello, this was a bug. It has supposed to be an opt-in and a bug in our preferences make it an opt-out. This problem was fixed yesterday: feedly is no longer creating a tab and pinning it.

If you have a feedly pinned tab and want to remove it, please right click on tab and select the unpin option.

Also if you still experience this, Todd has a solution:

If the pinned tab keeps coming back, you are likely hitting the following bug in Chrome which has been around a very long time:

http://crbug.com/71939

To fix it, make sure you have a New Tab page opened. Close the pinned tab. Then close the browser VIA THIS METHOD ONLY: Open the drop-down menu to the far right of the navbar, and choose “Exit” at the bottom.

This should make your Chrome pop up with only the New Tab Page on next start.

31 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you are awesome Todd Vierling ....did your suggestion and it worked perfectly!!!!! thank you so much, Mary

• T. Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had multiple tabs keep opening up. But downloaded the Extension - New Tab Redirect and set a special page to reopen. When I look on the set pages saw all the Tabs that kept reopening there. I just deleted them from the set pages in Settings one by one and then retyped in my home page and everything's fine. I don't see no bug in Chrome using this and I do two (2) computers with Chrome and neither one has a problem or bug, at least with New Tab Redirect. I've also pinned a tab a time or two just to see and also un-Pinned it. No big deal.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Todd, thanks for the solution to the unpinning problem. It was supremely irritating!

• Joan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not have the unpin option when I right click on a tab so I can't get rid of them. I will NEVER again pin a tab!

• Todd Vierling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the pinned tab keeps coming back, you are likely hitting the following bug in Chrome which has been around a very long time:

http://crbug.com/71939

To fix it, make sure you have a New Tab page opened. Close the pinned tab. Then close the browser VIA THIS METHOD ONLY: Open the drop-down menu to the far right of the navbar, and choose "Exit" at the bottom.

This should make your Chrome pop up with only the New Tab Page on next start.

• dice Ware commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really poor choice on Feedly's part. Why hijack a person's browser like this. Really makes a borderline Adware or possibly Malware out of Feedly. Not happy. Feedly is Adware is not a good thing to find in a search engine. Please fix this problem and stop acting like adware.

Yeah, this has been very irritating, and worse, it's been difficult to find a fix without looking for and finding this thread... especially for anyone who's never known anything about "pinning" tabs, etc. Nothing in settings/preferences, etc. If it was a bug, it's hard to imagine how it wasn't apparent in the most minimal QA checks, but... Glad you have [apparently] fixed it.

• Edwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is Edwin from feedly. We are very sorry.

This was a bug. It has supposed to be an opt-in and a bug in our preferences make it an opt-out. This problem was fixed yesterday: feedly is no longer creating a tab and pinning it.

If you have a feedly pinned tab and want to remove it, please right click on tab and select the unpin option.

This is ridiculous. If we like using Feedly, we'll come to you. Don't force yourself on us.

This is awful if you consider some people have limited bandwidth, and we don't want to have a forced mb consumption every time we start up our browser.
    Please, take it out. If not, i'll consider switching to another reader.

• Adrian Radulescu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed.. what were they thinking with this, exactly?

Is this a forgotten setting somewhere we don't know about? A bug? I don't get it.

I would like to keep the Feedly button in my apps, but I would also like to not get distracted by Feedly EVERY TIME I open Chrome.

What the hell? Is that too much to ask?

And oh, my feedly extension is set to "open as regular tab". Not one bit of difference.

• Lori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good luck uninstalling. I tried that in order to get rid of that same stupid tab -- so far, no dice. I'll do one better -- I'll stop using Chrome.

Wow... I completely agree as well, and I'm kinda surprised at the silence from feedly here. Given the unanimity i think the only reason this doesn't have a bajillion votes is only that people haven't found the thread. Although for the record, there are a few too many all caps, but hey, i'm a little upset too.

I'm going to have to uninstall chrome to get rid of this poison. STOP IT FEEDLY YOU'RE TOO CLINGY

I uninstalled the extension, but the feedly startup tab still appears. Stop it feedly, my computer does many things other than feedly. You are not that important, stop acting like it. You're asking to borrow the couch for a night and staying for 2 weeks. SO RUDE!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base